Disabling Username/Password authentication for the Apache Web Server
The default setting for WDLXTV's web server is to force authentication. You may want to switch this off for various reasons, i.e. to serve web pages. You can configure Apache on WDLXTV to not force authentication for particular web pages but I prefer just to switch it off for everything as I have no security issues with my setup. IMPORTANT: this removes the security from the WDLXTV and allows anyone to reconfigure your WDLXTV.
The method to set this up is to overwrite the default Apache config file by over mounting an alternative using the "mount -o bind" method. The default configuration file is /etc/apache2/sites-available/default
Here are the steps to set this up:
- cp /etc/apache2/sites-available/default /conf/apache-default
- Edit the file /conf/apache-default, in the <Location /> section, change the following:
<Location /> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews AuthType Digest AuthName "WDLXTV-Webend" AuthDigestDomain / AuthDigestProvider file AuthUserFile /conf/htpasswd Require valid-user Order allow,deny Allow from 127.0.0.1 www.live365.com live365.com gdata.youtube.com localhost Satisfy Any </Location>
<Location /> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews Order allow,deny Allow from all Satisfy Any </Location>
- Create a new file /conf/S00user-script (it may already exist) putting the following into it:
#!/bin/sh mount -o bind /conf/apache-default /etc/apache2/sites-available/default
- Reboot WDTV (sync; sync; reboot)
- And Apache should now not require a username/password.