Western Digital has released source code for all GPL'd code they use. That includes changes to the kernel with documentation of the patches, and a toolchain to build everything.
There's no official source code for several key elements of the box, including dmaosd and the transport stream/video/audio hardware.
This is a collection of links and information on how to hack firmware, including slides, pdf, forum, etc.
- and Conceptronic CH3SNAS which is low-end 2 SATA [Wiki Site]
- development group and user community - develop and modify the firmware and hardware of the Linksys NSLU2 [Wiki Site]
- Mini HD Connect [Personal Site]
- Institute of Technology, School of Computing - Computer Systems’ Architecture and Administration ( Recommend Lecture 7: Booting and boot levels) [Uni Site]
- Linux Wiki [Wiki Site]
- NetworkedMediaTank [Wiki Site]
- Presentation [PPT for Beginner]
- 660: Resources [Web Sites for Beginner]
- | New System on Chip from Sigma will offer significant improvement for Media Streaming and DVR’s, now we just have to wait for this to built in to products?