What is WDLXTV?
WDLXTV is a homebrew firmware developed by the community for the WDTV line of products from Western Digital. Its goal is to add a lot of new features on top of what is already provided by WD, such as movie sheets, Bittorrent, streaming from external online sources, and a lot more.
The names in brackets () are what WE (the developers) refer to as the device name on wiki and forum!.
Supported devices are:
- WDTV Gen 1 [Gen1]
(Model number WDAVN00BN, WDAVP00BE, WDAVN00BS, WDAVP00BS, WDAVP00BP)
- WDTV Gen 2 [Gen2]
(Model number WDBABF0000NBK, WDBABG0000NBK)
- WDTV Live [Live]
(Model number WDBAAN0000NBK, WDBAAP0000NBK)
- WDTV Live Plus [Plus]
(Model number WDBABX0000NBK, WDBREC0000NBK, WDBG3A0000NBK)
- WDTV Live Streaming [SMP] aka Gen3
(Model number WDBHG70000NBK, WDBGXT0000NBK)
Not supported devices are:
- WDTV Mini [Mini]
(Model number WDBAAL0000NBK) (Work is being done to support it: http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8107)
- WDTV Live Plus Latin America [PlusL(atam)]
(Model number WDBREC0000 and WDBG3A0000, all firmware versions ending in L)
- WDTV Live Hub [Hub]
(Model number WDBABZ0010BBK, WDBACA0010BBK) (Work is being done to support it: http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Y_U_NOT_SUPPORT_MY_DEVICE#WDTV_Hub)
- WDTV Media Player [Gen4]
(Model number WDBYMN0000NBK, WDBPUF0000NBK) (Work is being done to support it: http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Y_U_NOT_SUPPORT_MY_DEVICE#WDTV_Media_Player_.28aka_Gen4.29)
WDLXTV is developed by a small team of volunteers:
- b-rad - Lead developer / Project maintainer / Designer
- recliq - Programming / Project maintainer
- RMerlin - Webend WDLXTV Configurator & Webend Management
- zoster - UMSP media server
- mad_ady - UMSP plugin management / Various ports
- KAD - Gen3 port maintainer
- PsychoTHC - Webend Button Icons
- Pennhaven - logos
- Bovirus - localization manager
- rezmus, pibos, MR_Miyagi, derlinuxer, psychodad, thespecialist
- Themers: eM82, PsychoTHC, Juliojs, lilibabe
- ReMARKable - SVN server donation
- KroetKroet - day to day pain in the *ss :)
The wiki pages and general WDLXTV documentation is the responsibility of the users!
The developers have limited time to play with new features and to work on the code and integration, so they usually don't want to spend more time writing documentation. New features or plugins are usually explained in their forum threads but such information can get lost in time and is hard to search. So, as a new (or as a seasoned) WDLXTV user it is your duty to keep the wiki up to date by adding new articles or improving existing articles, making WDLXTV configuration easy for the noobs that will come after you.
If you've just learned how to do a cool new thing with your WDTV, share the steps you used with others or improve somebody else's guide.
You can login and edit the wiki with your forum credentials. If you want to create a new page, PM one of the developers and he will create the page for you.
These are some of the new features that WDLXTV adds to the WDTV platform:
- Bittorrent client (rtorrent + rutorrent)
- Usenet download client (nzbget)
- DAAP/Roku server (through mt-daapd)
- NFS sharing (client and server)
- User-generated movie sheets
- Apache web server
- FTP server
- SSH server
- Streaming from online sources through third-party plugins, allows you access to services such as Picasa, Grooveshark, Apple Trailers, and much more - over 30 plugins available at this time
- YoutubeHD (WD only allows for SD content)
- Custom applications through app.bin or Optware, adding applications such as Asterisk, Mediatomb, etc...
- WDTVExt, allowing custom plugins that can alter the functionality of the OSD (BaseFW 1.02 ONLY)
- Third party OSD themes
- Custom wallpaper and screen saver image
- Customizable IR remote functions
- ...and a lot more
- Difference between firmware formats: Normal [flash] and EXT3-Boot [non-flash]
- Difference between BaseFW (1.01, 1.02, etc...)
- Differences between kernels
- Check the Changelog
For community support, make sure you register to the official WDLXTV forums. The forum is quite active, and a lot of questions are already answered on these forums - make sure you search through them if you have any question regarding WDLXTV.
This Wiki will also contain a lot of information on how to take full advantage of WDLXTV and the numerous features it adds to the original WD firmware.
HowTos and Guides