Gen3 aka (WD Streaming Media Player or SMP) has official supported methods for moviesheets as well as WDLXTV theming methods.
Official Method for Moviesheets
To my knowledge all themes support the official method.
There is an official built in scraping tool to get and display moviesheets.
Limitations and Requirements on official Method
1. Media Library must be ON for the internal scraper to work
2. Moviesheets will not work with folders only with files.
3. Moviesheets are not static (ie. the scraper will download multiple background pictures. The WD will cycle through these backgrounds)
4. Synopics, Plot, Actors, Genre and other info are stored in a separate <filename>.xml
WDLXTV Methods for Moviesheets
WDLXTV introduced a method called "Linksheets"
Linksheets are nothing more than a special way to display your moviesheet.
Due to development and improvements in the process, there are 2 different idea's about how linksheets works.
We'll discuss both in a moment.
1. The theme in use must support linksheets
To be linksheets compatible the theme must include the following edits depending on which view is selected
<image image="@@browse_text" x="0" y="0" w="1280" h="720" bg="1"/> <image image="@@focused_title" x="0" y="0" w="1280" h="720" bg="1"/>
2. If linksheets is going to be used combined with Media Library ON or with use of .xml files, then <filename>.xml must be edited
Linksheets will not work with Media Library or xml files unless <title>filmnamehere</title> is removed from your xml's
How to use Linksheets - Recommended method
Moviesheet Creation / and xml creation
The most common tool is a program called Thumbgen http://thumbgen.codeplex.com
A Linux Alternative can be found here http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5255
Moviesheet Naming Conventions
for Gen3 there is only one naming schema that should be used
<movie-file-name>.<ext>_sheet.jpg Example : Batman.mkv_sheet.jpg
<folder-name>_sheet.jpg Example : Batman_sheet.jpg